When I planted my crops in pots back in late winter/early spring I never imagined it would take until the end of summer to get them in the ground. I guess building is like that. Things take longer than expected and priorities change along the way.
By mid-July we had the garden boxes in the front yard but then getting soil – what a pain! There are few places in town but they must had been busy with all the heat of summer because it took a good long while to reach each one and find out where I could get the soil I wanted. Then it took even longer to get it. (Granted, August isn’t when most people go looking for dirt.)
I had a lot going on by the time the soil finally arrived but I managed to get all but a few wheelbarrow loads in on the very day it arrive. Five yards of soil is a lot but thankfully it was a very short run! I also had moral support and a bit of help from my neighbour.
I was glad to get it all done before the rain but then I realized the soil was actually very warm, maybe even hot. Uh oh, the compost hadn’t finished cooking. After waiting so long to get soil in the boxes it was hard to wait any longer to transplant my veggies. I tried a few onions but then held off. Thank goodness because the onions were not happy with the heat or what good nutrients the heat was eating up. The soil is no longer giving off heat and my celery, celeriac, onions and leeks have enough room to grow as they should through the fall and early spring. My first *real* winter garden at last!
It’s hard to believe that our 4-day work weekend was nearly a month ago. We’re due for another one!
Our work schedules have been more demanding lately and as a result we haven’t gotten a whole lot of work done on the house ourselves. We’re also pretty exhausted from this design and construction saga that really does take a lot of energy when you have to decide everything. Thankfully the hired help has been taking care of things like the cabinetry and our interior stairs.
Oh, and we were able to find some interior door knobs locally so that we could get rid of the porta-loo. (I strongly detest the knobs where you have to pinch and turn to lock and unlock so we were on the look out for ones with the push buttons in the centre. We had originally found a set we liked in another town but couldn’t get them from a local supplier. Fortunately Rona has just changed some of their inventory and we found these ones that do just the trick.
I don’t have the photos to back it up (and it’s dark now) but our parents came up and got some great work done on Mother’s Day. My dad moved a whole lot of dirt around in the front to make way for my future garden boxes and my mom helped transplant some newly acquired plants. I may have more than leeks to harvest this summer after all!
Kev’s parents were similarly on a mission and they did a transformation of part of the back yard too!
We keep thinking we’re getting close to being done, but as I relayed to my sister tonight, there’s no relaxing any time soon. It may well be next year before we’re done enough to relax because finishing takes forever!